Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Power is all mine; Mine I tell you!!!!!

My boss is away in Canada for a couple of weeks as of Monday. Yesterday I was cc'd on an email to an incoming lecturer who is sorting out his computing needs. In it my boss stated that if he has any problems he should contact me since I will be in charge of the group whilst she is away.
I am usually pretty low down the food chain, but since I am filling in for a senior lecturer friend on sabbatical I have been temporarily elevated into a position where this lofty honour can be thrust upon me.

So as of Monday for two weeks (minus 3 days at a conference) I am the proud leader of a ragtag group of 4 engineers, 1 mathematician, 6 postgrad Ph.D students, 2 physicists (including me), and three honorary (retired) professors. As far as I can tell my temporary duties involve doing pretty much what I am doing already (with continued optional bitching about having to do teaching) along with sorting the new guy's needs out for his May arrival.

Clearly I need to come up with a way to abuse my new powers. Please pass along any suggestions you might have...

testing: something seems to be broken with this post's permalink...

5 comments:

David said...

You could start by finally informing most of the group that there's only one true scientist amongst them, then step down as leader and allow the mathematician to assume his rightful role.

Kav said...

It's not a science, it's just a tool...

Anonymous said...

You should declare somebody to be your own personal bitch, immediately. This person will do your laundry, buy your lunch, and generally be your man servant, catering to your every whim. Preferably this should be either the man you like the least, or the female you like the most ...

J.D.

Kav said...

Hmmm,
or the female you like the most ...
I could see this causing all sorts of problems with my wife.
As to the man I dislike the most, I'd rather keep him as far away from me as possible!

Nathanael Weiland said...

I think it''s fucking gorgeous.