Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Friday, April 08, 2005

Tax Returns

Look, tax is a necessary evil. I have no problem in paying tax but let's face it, I'm not going to complain if I don't have to pay. However, why does the tax return have to be so complicated and written in a foreign language? I am convinced that there is just no need.
Now, all other problems with filing aside, there is one thing that really gets my goat (and sheep, come to that):

Delayed Filing.

If I want, I can request to extend my filing deadline. Now since the UK tax year runs from April to April, not in a calendar year, there are circumstances where this might have been useful. However it turns out that I can not extend the deadline by which I have to pay tax that I might owe, even though I might need to have my UK tax sorted to calculate how much I owe to the US. No, that's not possible, sensible, but not possible. Instead I would have to pay whatever I thought I owed and then file an amended return to claim back what I didn't actually owe. Thus creating more paperwork and causing more mantime in processing.

Your tax dollar at work!

UPDATE: I have been informed that my moaning about tax is putting people off and is, quite frankly, boring. Therefore I shall endeavour not to mention US tax forms again. Of course, I have been asked to file for this year in the UK and so I may always bitch about that in the near future... ;-)

No comments: