Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2005

The French Say "No!"*...

... to the EU constitution. The Dutch are lined up to say no. The Danish might say no (it is unclear). The British? Well, we probably won't be asked now (supposed to be Spring 2006) since it appears that the EU constitution has died on it's arse.

So what was it all about? How tragic/wonderful is this for the EU and for Britain? Don't ask me, I haven't even read the sodding thing. I've been far too busy attempting to do some work and have a life. I doubt more than 1% of the UK population has read the constitution. I find it hard to beleive that the 70 odd percent of French people who voted in the referendum read the constitution.

And now it's likely to die, so is it worth me reading it? Or should I wait for the next one? Well of course I will read it. I have to know what it was that the jumped up Brussels beaurocrats** actually decided needed to go into the constitution. Then I can formulate an opinion and be for or against it on merit, and next time see how they change it from this effort.

There is a kee-jerk anti-European culture in this country. We don't trust them and we probably never will. We may appear liberal to our American cousins but in actual fact the British tend to be rather conservative on many issues, and one of them is a real fear of losing identity and having the country run from Paris, or Berlin.

Anyway, this post served no other purpose than to say that the French said no and that I, like many of my country men, am completely ignorant about the whole thing. Sad really.

(see how all the countries have lined up so far)

*Fed up with seeing variations on "French say 'non!'" in newspapers. Lets keep it English here, you unoriginal moronic newspaper men. God I hate the tabloid mentality.
**I'm generally pro-Europe and even I think most of them are a waste of space.

10 comments:

Hubris said...

Speaking as an unifnormed observer: Ignoring the economic concerns (I know, a big caveat), the homogenization of Europe just seems unappealing from a cultural perspective. That's what always seemed appealing about Europe to me; so many different cultures, laws, and quirks in such close juxtaposition.

Kav said...

And that is the fear of many of the people in the member states. In the UK, for example, giving up the pound for the Euro is less about economics and more about cultural surrender. Of course there is also deep-seated mistrust, remember this little continent has been swimming in tension for centuries.

However the EU does not have to be about homogenisation of cultures; it just needs to be worked out properly. It also has to be smaller (beaurocratically speaking) and properly accountable.

The big problem is that the countries do not trust each other and so fear any sort of representation that relies on countries of larger populations having more say.

It's a problem.

Hubris said...

You know you're going to be forced to spell "homogenisation" with a "z" if this goes forward, don't you?

Kav said...

'We shall fight them on the beaches...'
:-)

Hubris said...

Heh.

Kav said...

Wow! Uncanny Glenn Reynolds impression!

Hubris said...

Thanks, I'll be here all night.

Kav said...

ooh-ooh, do Kevin Drum! :-)

hubris said...

Here are ten charts showing oil production levels since 1937, along with graphs showing corresponding fluctuations in sugar-eating disparities between the rich and poor. Speaking of sugar, I really dislike candy bars, how about you?

Kav said...

ROFLMAO!

oh, I see a regular feature here:

"Hubris does... well known Bloggers"