Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2005

Obligatory Star Wars post

Well, I finally saw Revenge of the Sith last night. I liked it. In fact, I liked it a lot. There were moments in it when I thought things could have been done better, but I think that about a lot of films. It was no worse than A New Hope and certainly no worse than Return of the Jedi. OK, so if we are talking in terms of pure cinematic skill and impressiveness it was no Empire Strikes Back but I still think that it hit all the right notes.

I thought Christensen was a little wooden, but his performance was much improved over the second film and I didn't find Yoda as annoying as I was led to believe that I would. I even thought that the film struck a nice balance; the first half was somewhat light hearted in scene and dialogue, then it decended nicely to the much darker second half.

Just as Ade, I too read the book first and so there were certainly bits from that which would have worked well in the movie and perhaps filled gaps in my understanding. However, my wife had not read the book and she really enjoyed the film.

On the point of cheesiness I did not actually find the dialogue overly cheddery. Again it wasn't the best at times, but that has always been the case in the Star Wars films. Perhaps it was a case of being influenced by the book again, but I thought that sometimes the point was nicely made without dialogue through simple expression - hardly indicating that the acting was as abysmal as some critcs would have it.

On the whole I thought it was a rollicking good film and I look forward to it coming out on DVD so that I can watch it over and over for all the visual details that I missed the first time (though I spotted the Millenium Falcon :-)). I also want to see the old trilogy again very soon - must hurry up and buy the DVD boxed set!

No comments: