Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Monday, July 04, 2005

Regrets, Tony?

The war in iraq had its fair share of detractors and promoters here in the UK. Arguments in support of Blair's position were regularly trotted out in opposition to the issues wheeled into battle by the protesters; some were more plausible than others.

One that I heard quite a lot is that by supporting Mr. Bush, our Tony has placed himself in the position of being able to have influence over the President on matters of international import (for example Climate change and world poverty). It has been said that Tony has safeguarded and strengthened the special relationship between the UK and the USA and through his support has earned himself what amounts to a favour from Mr. Bush.

Hmmm. Well if the US President's latest words carry any water then this argument has been blown out of the wet stuff. Here is What GWB had to say in an interview with Trevor McDonald for ITV:

"I really don't view our relationship as one of quid pro quo.

"Tony Blair made decisions on what he thought was best for keeping the peace and winning the war on terror, as I did. So I go to the G8 not really trying to make him look bad or good, but I go to the G8 with an agenda that I think is best for our country."


I can't fault Bush for thinking this way but if he means it then it makes fools of those who thought that Blair had gained any real political capital with his support of Mr. Bush.

On the flip side the US president appears to have accepted that man is guilty of contributing to climate change and is making some efforts towards battling the process. He still doesn't believe in Kyoto though.

"I think you can grow your economy and at the same time do a better job of harnessing greenhouse gases,"

I happen to agree with Mr. Bush though our ideas of how and our methodologies might be quite different in both the short and long term.

2 comments:

Ebird said...

It's a little strange. I trust GWB's stated motive for going to war in Iraq, and I agree for the most part. I strongly distrust his statements regarding the environment. I don't think he gives a flip about the environment - he's just telling us what we want to hear. His environmental and fiscal policies are the ones I have the biggest problems with.

Kav said...

I am not entirely trusting of his explanations for the war, though I do not think he went for nefarious reasons (i.e. oil) and I believe that his motives, though misplaced, were probably well intentioned. I hope he means what he says about the environment now, though I am cynical.