Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Monday, July 04, 2005

War of the Worlds


War of the Worlds is a cracking read, a book that I haven't read for a few years but am now starting to get an itch to pick up again. I have not seen the new movie and Mr C has been irritating me so much that I probably won't. Actually, I just haven't had the urge, to be honest; trips to the cinema have been remarkably limited recently. I have only been twice sonce I got back to the UK in September last year.

Anyway, this post is about a different version of War of the Worlds. The muscial version written by Jeff Wayne and narrated by the late, great Richard Burton. Its a pretty cool album and they have just remastered it in time for the hype over the movie. It is based much more faithfully on the book, being set in Victorian England, and is completely available on-line for streaming (amzaingly)!

More exciting, however, is that there is a proposed cgi animation being made for release in 2008 that would have the album as its soundtrack. In effect the animation would accompany the music.

Have a look at the sample cgi effects in the features section of the main website. My favourite is the martian fighting machine.

1 comment:

Ryan Somma said...

I just reread "War of the Worlds" myself recently. Fantastic book. HG Wells was so incredibly ahead of his time. He simply embraced science and evolution right from the start and as a result all of his books remain plausible today.

The movie quotes the book directly in the begining and end, and it follows the basic events in the book, but it still managed to miss the book's hardcore SF feeling and ran with horror instead.