Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2005

Freeview


Freeview is a wonderful thing. The range of channels you get is not as large as one might get from Sky or cable Tv but it is adequate considering that chances are I wouldn't watch much on those other channels anyway.

However, one thing makes having Freeview totally worthwhile is Men and Motors. Not, I hasten to add for the faux machismo that radiates from the concept much as from the dumbing down of many of the 'men's magazine' titles. No it just because they broadcast one show that will go down in history as one of the best 1980s shows ever:

Magnum P.I.

It is fantastic. It has clearly dated but not as much as you might think. The character interactions are great and the storylines entertaining. It is, in my most humble opinion, great. I was watching reruns on Bravo (I think) in the States before I came home and now I get to see it again over here - possibly the first time on British airwaves since the 80s.

I love it. :-)

6 comments:

ebird said...

Off topic: I'm watching a program on birds and their mating dances last night on TV. Very interesting stuff. I was wondering if you know of evolutionary theory for this behavior. How might evolution explain the female's choice of mate based on the intricate dance? or plumage for that matter?

Kav said...

That's a question for Hrun really. I'm more of an interested observer with some basic knowledge whereas he is closer to the field than me. I'm a physical scientist really, I just like to pretend and sound knowledgeable about other things ;-)

ebird said...

sure, I'll send it to him..

After I posted I googled and found this which gives some explaination and also goes into nest building of the bowerbird.

David said...

Ooo, is this where we post science questions?

Why won't wood melt?

Can I burn water?

What's the aquatic equivalent for terminal velocity?

Where can I see the entire circle of a rainbow?

:)

Kav said...

here we go again...

why won't wood melt?

it's burning point is far below its theoretical melting point.

can I burn water?
No

What's the aquatic equivalent for terminal velocity?

erm, terminal velocity? though I don't think it actually exists in the real world due to increases in pressure that are so large over small scales. in other words the resisting force on the falling object increases much more rapidly than it would in air and the act of buoyancy comes into play. Ooh, this one intrigues me, I'll ahve to work this out. Or maybe not since its 1am!

Where can I see the entire circle of a rainbow?

Get yourself a cup of water and a bright light source. Stand in front of the light source such that it illuminates around you. Fill your mouth full of water and spray it up into the air in front of you (facing away from the light). You should see the full circle.

Alternatively, stand on a hill in a rainstorm in the evening when the sun is low behind you. That might do the trick.

David said...

Ooh, this one intrigues me, I'll have to work this out.

I knew I'd get you with one of them! ;)