Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Surprise? I think not.

So Ms. Miers has withdrawn her candidacy for position of supreme court justice. I won't speculate over much about the timing, I'll leave that to others but I will post this from the BBC that I thought was interesting:

Mr Bush praised Ms Miers for her decision, which he said was motivated by a desire not to allow Senators access to confidential White House documents.

"Harriet Miers' decision demonstrates her deep respect for this essential aspect of the constitutional separation of powers - and confirms my deep respect and admiration for her," Mr Bush said.

First of all, huh? Considering all of her recent work has been in the Whitehouse did Bush really think that she would get confirmed without senators wishing to see some sort of paper trail that covered her work?
Second of all, did it not have anything to do with mounting opposition from all sides and a complete lack of credibility when it came to constitutional law?

No comments: