Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Death Penalty

The USA has put to death its oldest Death-Row inmate. I have issues with any state (so-called civilized or not) that executes people. I think it is wrong and dangerous and I know I am in a minority. This is based, I suspect, on the general perception of 'it would never happen to me' that most of us drift through our lives with. However I'm not trying to start a debate on the death penalty, rather I just want to point out the weakest argument ever for attempting a stay of execution:

Allen's lawyers had called for clemency because of his health and age, but their appeals were rejected.


Why would this even be considered? For starters it is incredibly ageist if nothing else. You do the crime, you do the time. This was not a case of arguing for a reformed character or of pleading innocence - this was a case where they wanted him let-off due to his age and health. Weak, very weak.

No comments: