Labels

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Now ain't that a kick in the head?


Thanks Bill, really.

I spend an awful lot of time playing Halo on my PC. Too much time really; recently I upgraded to Halo CE which allows for new multiplayer maps and weapons. In addition I get to create my own maps if I so desire. So many more ways to waste my days and night. For a long time now you guys at Microsoft have been saying that you have no plans to release Halo 2 for the PC, much to the chagrin of the Halo PC users. Of course this also means that you have spent very little time on upgrading the original Halo PC game and servers as you have concentrated on Halo 2 and the XBox market. Well, fair enough, but now you announce that Halo 2 will finally come to the PC. Except there is a caveat, quite a big caveat. It will only be available for those who are willing to upgrade from XP to Vista, the superduper new platform. Well okay, I guess in some ways that is reasonable, we don't expect Windows 98 users to be able to play the latest games that come out for XP; things change and technologies develop and move on. The BBC said this about your announcement:

With Vista, Microsoft has made big changes to the way it handles graphics. Unlike other versions of Windows, it will need an advanced video card to get the most out of it.

It is also likely to demand a lot of computer memory and a sizeable hard drive. While these requirements are likely to be met by dedicated players who want to get the most out of games, many less keen players could struggle to comply.

The decision to make only a Vista version of the best-selling Halo 2 game could significantly stunt the games appeal.


No shit Sherlock. Yet, I for one am happy. This decision means that it is incredibly unlikely that I will get Halo 2 and so I will be a better husband and have more of a life. I will not be tempted to stay up half the night playing the new game and will have time to do other things. Perhaps I will actually spend the time on the computer to finish writing my novel instead of dicking about with Halo 2.

So thank you Bill Gates. Thank you most sincerely.

Kind Regards

Kav

No comments: