Labels

Search This Blog

Friday, March 10, 2006

...but not for me

Well I have to hand my KY back.

After all the talk by my (senior) colleagues, I did not even make the shortlist. Basically we had three candidates who were of exceptional quality and experience that placed them several steps above us other candidates. Of the remaining 9 candidates, I was apparantly up top but it was not a clear cut decision between me and others of similar experience and so they have opted to interview only the three.

I cannot say that I am 100% fine with this, but neither am I tearing my hair out and crying. It is a bit annoying that I wasted so much time preparing my application but hindsight is a beautiful thing. As the Dean said, I am young and in a relatively secure position, I have the future all ahead of me. Plus from my own point of view I am doing just what I always wanted to do.

Anyway, I may not have a job interview to prepare for but I do have to prepare two talks and a poster for three upcoming meetings so I will be quiet for some time. If this blog was more popular I would advertise for guest bloggers :-)

Apologies to those I am sort of in mid-debate with over various issues. I am afraid real life is getting in the way and as I have said before I am making stark choices on what blogging I do and respond to.

p.s. points for anyone who can name the song that the title of this post is a recurring line out of.

6 comments:

David said...

Sorry about the job mate. Glad to read you're not completely distraught about it.

Do I get one point for each artist that has covered the song? Elton John, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald... ;)

Kav said...

£ points to you, and the trophy if you name the film in which Elton John covered it... easy money.

Ade said...

Four Weddings and a Funeral, I believe...

Yeah, sorry to hear about the job - I'm quite surprised I must admit. It's a good thing you didn't really want it then... ;)

hrun said...

Too bad, you didn't get the job, Kav. Even though you didn't know it I was rooting for you. Fat lot of good that did. :)

Kav said...

Thanks mate, nice to hear from you. Glad you are still kicking about. Were you not jockying for a post-doc position last we spoke?

hrun said...

Yup, and that's the main reason why I was not keeping up with my usual net habits. I did, in the meantime, find a good position in Boston. I am still applying for some fellowships, but my pay is secure for the next three years. So now it's back to wasting time on the web... aehh, I mean working hard in the lab.