Labels

Search This Blog

Friday, December 01, 2006

December 1st

Today is of course the 1st of December and what did I just see outside my office window (4 floors up in the centre of Liverpool!)? A butterfly! (For those who care about such things I suspect it was a Peacock butterfly, but I only got to see the underneath of the wings).

To be honest I've no idea if this is really as unusual as it feels to me - it just adds to the other things I've noticed this autumn, like the spring flowers (clematis montana) I saw in late October near Lancaster. I think 2006 is definitely heading to be a warm year on the old weather records!

3 comments:

Ade said...

I don't think it's just Britain that is experiencing atypical winter weather either. I was told to pack for the cold when coming out to Boston for a holiday this week. Yesterday I took a walk to Harvard in a T-shirt and jeans wishing that I'd packed some shorts...

Having said that, according to the BBC weather forecast the Boston temperature is due to drop by nearly 20degC from 18C down to -1C over the next 5 days!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I thought you were sayin Englan doesn't have butterflys.

Em said...

We do have lots of butterflies, not usually many flying around by now though!
An update - the clematis montana still has flowers on it, and the met office has confirmed the warmest autumn on record....