Labels

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Straight down the middle [update]

A beautiful sunny day in the north of England and myself and two colleagues are going to take advantage and bugger off to the golf course later this afternoon.

I approach this with a mix of anticipation and trepidation. I have been to the driving range with said colleagues and one is a natural who drove the ball far beyond the back fence of the range and has played on and off for years. The other is a relative newcomer to the game but has approached it with gusto and far too much enthusiasm for my liking; he has been taking lessons! In fact he was not keen to play a game until he had a few lessons and plenty of practice at the driving range.

As for myself, I first started playing when I was 16 (14 years ago for those keeping count) and played quite regularly until I started University. I then did not touch a club again until last year - even though I always intended to get lessons it has never happened. When I did play my friends and I sort of just lunged forward at the game with the most basic of advice from our PE teacher at school ("hit the ball, get it in the little hole").

Basically I am very shit (those of you aware of my lack of hand-eye coordination could have surmised this) and as much as I enjoy playing I feel that this afternoon could be full of ripe humiliation. My only recourse may be to supply copious amounts of alcohol and hope the greens keeper does not catch us.

[update] where the smeg has all this bloody cloud come from?????

No comments: