Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 15, 2007

A definite 'huh?' moment

Well here I am sat here in the EISCAT control room running an experiment where the ionosphere is being decidedly uncooperative and I'm staring at my computer screen which has this blog sat in the background.

So I notice the "Big Science Questions" post and for the first time I really notice what the first question is:

• Why is there a Universe?

Let that sink in for a moment.

Read it again and note that it does not say 'How?', it says 'Why?'

Is this truly a questions for science to answer? To me it sounds more like a philosophical (or perhaps even religious) question. I understand the necessity of thinking big and not shying away from the big questions but we also have to work within the constraints of science. Big targets are wonderful but realism is neccessary as well. I am intrigued to know how we are expected to answer this question.

No comments: