Blog Archive

Labels

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Scientific Bypasses

I was thinking about the current funding fiasco and the way in which the community has been consulted up to now, and noted a striking similarity to the following Douglas Adams quote from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

Mr Prosser said, "You were quite entitled to make any suggestion or protests at the appropriate time, you know."

"Appropriate time?", hooted Arthur. "Appropriate time? the first I knew about it was when workman arrived at my home yesterday..."

"But Mr. Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

"Oh yes, well, as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display..."

"On display? i eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flash light."

"Ah, well, the lights had probably gone."

" So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice, didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.'"

With apologies to Douglas Adams and his estate, I hope they don't mind me borrowing this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the way our group "advertises" it's jobs...

Dumbfounded RSPPG member.