Labels

Search This Blog

Friday, May 09, 2008

Changes

I've been in Finland for 3 weeks now and I have been fortunate enough to be here as winter turns into spring. The snow is melting, days alternate between hot and cold and the ice in the river has melted. Here let me show you.

This is a view along the river taken on the 24th April 2008. As you can see the river is totally frozen over. A couple of days later we were drilling ice-fishing holes further downstream and digging a swimming hole for a colleague. I can tell you that the ice was good and thick.


Now this was taken on May Day. You can see that there is a lot more running water. Now it is not totally clear whether all the ice was melted or whether I was seeing surface water that had flown over the ice. I suspect it was a bit of both. The ice was still hanging tight to the shoreline though there is a beautiful fault line indicating a fracture in the ice.

And just a few minutes ago I went and had a stroll to the river. It's beautiful here in the evenings. It has been raining, just a short while ago and the forest smells like, well, like wet dog actually, for some reason. However, the birds are singing and the sunset was marvellous.

I took another shot looking down stream and you can see that the ice is gone (I was stood a few metres further upstream for this one). The snow is also mostly gone except in those places where it was piled high by snowploughs.

Of course now the mosquitoes have begun to arrive. So far I have seen a couple and they seem big and sluggish. I have been told there is a smaller variety and when they arrive I will know about it!

No comments: